Coffee Substitute Chicory is now gaining popularity around the world because of the growing concerns for consuming the regular. We know it may make you feel energetic instantly due to its caffeine rush, but you may experience rapid heart rate.
Many people with high blood pressure say that they can’t drink a cup of Americano anymore because it increases their heart palpitations. On the other hand, it doesn’t elevate your heart rate or make you feel nauseous. Hence, it is now a healthier alternative.
What is it?
The root of the plant is ground and brewed before consumption. This means you can drink without worrying about increased blood pressure, heavy breathing, headache, insomnia, or nausea. If you are not able to enjoy your cup of brew in the morning anymore, you can shift to chicory as it’s a worthy substitute.
Why is it better than the traditional brew?
It has been around for centuries and it may be difficult to replace it completely, but if you are searching for something healthier, there’s hardly anything better than the brew. It eliminates the side effects that coffee has since it doesn’t contain caffeine. The root of the plant contains a bunch of nutrients, such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, phosphorus, carbs, protein, potassium, manganese, fiber, calories, inulin, and fat. Inulin is a renowned probiotic fiber that helps with weight loss and improves your gut health similar to beneficial mushrooms.
In addition to assisting with weight loss, it also keeps your brain healthy. Manganese and vitamin B6 found in the root of the plant is essential in calming your mind down. They ensure that you stay focused on whatever you are doing. Here are a few more health benefits that prove why the drink is a good substitute.
1. Keeps blood sugar under control
Inulin is crucial for two reasons - first, it keeps your gut healthy, and second, it controls your blood sugar level. Once you start drinking it, you will notice that your blood sugar level is slowly coming under control. This happens because it boosts your metabolism. And when your body’s metabolism is better, it brings your sugar level down to normal. Moreover, with a balanced metabolism, your body also manages carbohydrates better, thus also contributing to keeping your blood sugar under control.
2. Improves your digestive health
The root is quite fibrous and it takes care of your digestive health also. It influences your body’s gut microbiome, thus increasing its ability to prevent various diseases. Additionally, inulin fortifies your gut health and clears your colon passage. Once your colon passage is clear, it produces good bacteria that ensure you don’t face any problem with digestion.
3. Reduces chronic inflammation
Stroke, heart attack, diabetes, or cancer are often associated with chronic inflammation. Not treating chronic inflammation in time can turn out to be life-threatening. Apart from medication, you should also start drinking it for its excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Sure, you may not see any change within a day or two, but if you continue drinking it daily, it will eventually reduce the inflammation.
How to make Chicory Coffee?
Now that you know why the substitute is better than the traditional brew, let’s take a look at how to make it. The brewing process is similar to making a traditional cafe. But before brewing, you need to roast the root first. Here’s the roasting process that you need to keep in mind:
- Take a handful of the root and wash it properly. There shouldn’t be any mud or dirt. Once you finish washing, allow the roots to dry. It’s better if you wash the roots at night and roast it in the morning. This gives the roots enough time to dry.
- Next, take a pan and heat it on high flame. Put the roots in the pan and lower the flame immediately.
- Roast the roots on low flame until they become crispy. There shouldn’t be any moisture left in the roots. Keep tossing the roots in the pan until they dry up completely.
- Turn the flame off and allow the roots to cool down. Transfer them to a grinding jar and make a powder.
You now have a product ready for brewing. Here’s the brewing process:
- Mix one tablespoon of the substance with two tablespoons of product. This combination balances the bitter taste of the drink and replaces it with a rich chocolatey aroma.
- Boil water. Take a French press and put the mixture in it. Pour hot water into the French press and allow the filter to seep the water through. You will get a decoction of rich, flavorful brew.
- Wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes for the filter to pass the water into the lower part of the French press. A few people add spices like nutmeg, star anise, cinnamon, and cloves to the decoction. You can follow their recipes or simply add boiling water to the decoction and drink it the Americano style. Alternatively, you can add cream, milk, and sugar to make the beverage taste like one of those Starbucks drinks.
Why is the drink popular?
It is already famous for its health benefits. Apart from that, it also brings down the overall cost of the brew. Many manufacturers mix the formula so that you don’t have to roast and grind the roots. You will notice that the pouches mention the percentage of what it contains. Remember, the higher the content, the better it is for your health.
If you are in a dilemma to choose between both substances you should ask yourself what’s more important - your long-term health or instant surge in energy? Choosing long-term health is always a wiser decision, and if you want that, you should switch drinks.