Afternoon snacks covered in chocolate are every child’s dream, and when these snacks are healthy they meet every parents satisfaction too. So indulge in these raw chocolate candy apple wedges, a delicious afternoon treat for kids and adults of all ages.
- 2 large red apples
- 10-12 wooden ice pop sticks
- 1/2 cup dried pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon raw coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon raw agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon raw almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw chocolate
- dash of raw coconut oil
- your choice of crushed nuts, shredded coconut, or any other garnish
1. Cut each apple into 5 or 6 equal sized wedges. Put the ice pop stick through one end. Line a large plate or tray with parchment paper. Set the apples aside
2. To make the caramel, add the dates to your food professor and blend until they are broken down. Add the almond milk and raw coconut oil and blend into a paste, occasionally using a spatula to scrape down the sides. Add the agave nectar, almond butter, cinnamon and salt, and blend until thoroughly mixed.
3. Use a knife to coat each apple wedge with the sauce and place back on the parchment paper. Put in the freezer to set for around 25 minutes.
4. Just before removing the apples from the freezer, coat with the raw chocolate. Add a dash of raw coconut oil to thin it out a little. Place apples in freezer.
5. Remove the apples from the freezer. Take one at a time by the stick and hold it over top of the bowl of chocolate and use a spoon to pour extra chocolate over top. Allow to set for a minute before sprinkling garnish on top, or else it will slide off. Put back on the plate and repeat for each one, before putting back in the freezer for 10 minutes to set. Store in the refrigerator and enjoy!
This raw, gluten free, soy free, and vegan recipe came from LookBook CookBook, which combines fierce fashion, hip imagery, and gorgeous girls with vegan recipes.
Photo Credit: Girlie Girl Army